Lemon and Lime Citrus Tray Bake…Posted: September 12, 2012
This is a recipe I have adapted from a recipe book. The original recipe made one round cake but sometimes I find bite size pieces work better! This cake is very moist and also very sharp and full of citrus flavour! I made it with lemon and lime but you could use lemon and orange instead! Enjoy!
This cake makes one 30cm x 20cm tray plus a bit extra, which I made into mini cupcakes! If you have a larger rectangular tin though which will fit all the mix use that! I filled my tin about an inch and a half deep!
200g Unsalted Butter (soft)
250g Caster Sugar
3 Medium Eggs
Zest of two lemons (retain some for decoration)
Zest of two limes (retain some for decoration)
2550g Self Raising Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
For the drizzle you will need….
3 tbsp Caster Sugar
Juice of One Lime
Juice of One Lemon
For the icing you will need…
Juice of half a lemon
Juice of half a lime
1. To begin preheat the oven to 180C (350F).
2. Next put the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
3. Then add the eggs and lemon and lime zest and beat again until evenly combined.
4. Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixture followed by the milk and mix well until all ingredients are combined and the mixture is smooth. (I used an electric hand whisk, if you have one its easier!)
5. Next up grease and line your tin with baking paper.
6. Add the mixture to the prepared tin and smooth over. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 30 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean!
7. Next its time to prepare the drizzle and icing. In a small bowl mix the drizzle ingredients together with a spoon. In another bowl place the icing sugar. Add the lemon and lime juice to the icing sugar to create a good medium drizzling consistency icing.
8. When the cake has been removed from the oven, immediately prick the cake all over with a skewer and spoon over all the drizzle. Leave the cake in the tin to cool completely.
9. When the cake is fully cooled drizzle over the icing and decorate with the remaining zest! Slice into squares and enjoy with a nice brew! hehe